When we're feeling low, tired, run down, or ill, we're all too quick to run out and buy the next best hyped up multi-vitamin, cold and flu pills, or supplements. However, what people don't realise is that there are more effective forms of boosting immunity than last minute pill popping and that's through functional nutrition.
Multivitamins usually contain only trace elements of the vitamins and minerals that we are seeking therefore are not always effective in the battle for optimal health. They are usually bound by other non-nutrient substances like binding agents, anti-caking agents, preservatives, sweeteners or more which the body wants to quickly pass through leaving minuscule amounts to be finally absorbed Then on the other hand you have highly concentrated, isolated supplements, which single out a particular vitamin or mineral. While some vitamins and minerals are obviously more effective in higher doses, consumers are then putting themselves at risk of overdosing, which can cause all other sorts of symptoms and ailments.
Our bodies are much more efficient at assimilating nutrients that work synergistically, such as when they are coming from naturally sourced whole food forms and or superfoods. In functional foods, where quality extraction processes have been implemented, essential nutrients are occurring naturally and in the perfect ratios and therefore can be more effectively absorbed by our bodies.
Multivitamins and Isolates
- Only contain trace elements of each vitamin or extremely high singular doses
- Easily pass through the body without being fully absorbed
- Reasonably expensive without being a complete food source
- Usually contain other non food, synthetic agents which can be toxic to our bodies
Superfoods (EG. Acai, Bee Pollen, Spirulina, Gogi Berries, etc)
- Usually contain the entire spectrum of vitamins and minerals required by our body along with other beneficial phyto-nutrients
- In additional to all the essential nutrients, superfoods also provide long lasting energy in the form of complex carbohydrates, essential fatty acids and proteins
- Sourced naturally from what nature has provided us
- Better absorbed by the body
- Aid in satiety levels (feeling of fullness)
- Aid in immunity
- Can be incorporated into meal replacements (breakfast, yogurts, smoothies, baking)
So next time you reach for a quick fix pill, just give more thought to how to get back to your full potential using the "ultimately natural" approach and repair your body from the inside out using what mother nature has already provided us!